Monday, October 6, 2008

Basic Black or a Kick of Color?.......

Since posting the pictures of my 12kg bell, I have been asked how I painted them. It was simple and fun......here are the specifics:

1) First decide if you want to paint the handle of the bell or not. If you are NOT painting the handle, tape off the handle where it meets the bell. (It was my personal preference not to paint mine. My next attempt may be to paint the entire bell and see how it wears )

2) Begin by spraying the bell with primer (Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer). Spray on a good coat to cover the entire bell & let dry overnight.

3) You are now ready to apply color to your bell. Use a good quality spray paint. (I use Krylon Satin Finish spray paintagain personal preference.)

4) When applying the paint, be sure to use quick short strokes. Spray from about 10 inches away. If you apply it too close or too heavy, it WILL drip. If it does start to drip, quickly blot it with a paper towel.

5) When applying more than one color, allow 5 minutes in between colors for drying. Get crazy! Experiment with colors. Remember: there are no mistakes…only masterpieces!

6) Once you are happy with your design, let the colors dry for about 2 hours. Then spray with a clear coat (Rustoleum Gloss protective enamel). Rustoleum also sells a flat protective enamel if you decide you do not want your KB to have a glossy finish. Whichever you choose, apply at least 2-3 coats.

7) Let dry for 12 -24 hours before using.

Please let me know how yours turn out. I would love to see pictures!

No comments: